The department was started in 1997 as the first of its kind in the private sector in Trivandrum by Dr. P RAVINDRAN, MD, FCCP, Former Director, Professor and Head, Department of Respiratory Medicine, Medical College, Trivandrum.
We strive to provide access to the latest advances in pulmonology and sleep medicine with the help of world‐class medical equipment. We isolate the source of the problems and treat it to prevent chronic lung conditions which might lead to significant health problems. Breathing disorders sleep apnoea (sleep disorder) and allergies can be cured completely under the skilled Pulmonologists at the department. Specialised care is offered for sleep disorder with the support of Sleep Lab facility.Current Faculties
1. Dr. P. RAVINDRAN, MD, FCCP
2. Dr. RAVEENDRAN NAIR.M, DTCD MD
3. Dr. K MADHU, DNB MNAMS FCCP
4. Dr. NEETHU MOHAN, DNB MNAMS
5. Dr. AJOY SAMUEL MAMMEN, DTCD DNB MNAMS
Eight Residents are doing DNB in Pulmonary Critical Care & Sleep Medicine, which was started in 2012. The Department has all the modern facilities for the diagnosis and management of Respiratory diseases, Allergic disorders and Critical illnesses
The Department is recognised by the Indian College of Allergy and Applied Immunology for conducting Allergy and Immunology Workshops. Research Program: Facilities available for undertaking research, designing of projects, statistical guidance and data analysis. Research Designer - Dr. P RAVINDRAN, M.D., FCCP (INCLEN trained MacMaster & Toronto)
Biostatistics support - Dr. MURALEEDHARAN NAIR, Ph. D(INCLEN Trained MacMaster University)
• 24 hours Emergency Respiratory and Critical Care Services
• Daily Out patient Services for Respiratory and Allergic disorders - morning and evening specialty clinics
SPECIALITY CLINICS & FACILITIES
- Asthma and Allergy Clinic- For adults and children
- COPD Clinic
- Smoking Cessation Clinic
- Pulmonary rehabilitation Clinic
- Sleep disordered breathing Clinic
- Diagnosis of respiratory diseases
- Pulmonary function testing: Latest generation of computerised lung function testing
- Pre and Post bronchodilator lung function testing
- Assessment of pulmonary disability
- Monitoring of pulmonary function during treatment
- Pre operative pulmonary evaluation
- Standardised 6 minutes walk test.
- Fiber optic bronchoscopy - for evaluation of diseases of airways under local anaesthesia – Transbronchial biopsy
- Non invasive ventilators: BIPAP noninvasive ventilator for support of respiration without intubation in early respiratory failure in the Critical Care Unit
- Mechanical ventilators: Hospital has the latest generation mechanical ventilators for ventilatory support in Critical illnesses
- Facilities for ultrasound & haemodialysis in Critical Care Unit.
- Sleep Lab: For the evaluation of sleep related breathing disorders like Sleep Apnoea, excessive snoring, etc.
- Intradermal allergy testing for evaluation of Respiratory allergy &, Drug allergy
- Allergens immunotherapy
- Arterial Blood Gas Analyser: For detecting the oxygen and carbon dioxide levels in the blood
- Other routine procedures done in the department : Pleural aspiration, Pleural biopsy, Chemical Pleurodesis, Lung FNAC / biopsy Tube thoracostomy, Pulse oxymetry.
- Thorascoscopy & VATS facilities available(in collaboration with Thoracic Surgeon)
- A State of art Critical Care Unit with 22 beds and one negative pressure isolation room.